The abstract submission phase is now complete.
Submit an Abstract
The program topics cover 7 key specialties within the profession. Each topic has a set of sub-topics to clearly define presentation proposals within these broad topic areas. Authors should select the topic area for the general subject and then choose the more specific sub-topic to better describe the presentation and learning objectives for the proposed session.
1) COLD REGIONS ENGINEERING DIVISION ABSTRACT TOPICS
The ASCE Congress on Technical Advancement will continue with the Cold Region Division’s long history of success, by hosting the 17th International Conference on Cold Regions Engineering within the dedicated divisional tracks. Presentations are intended to introduce industry and profession-level topics from a leadership outlook, explore multi-discipline view-points, examine the cold region engineering profession and how it functions, and show how cold region engineering affects industry and the public safety.
Cold Regions Engineering Division Sub-Topics
- Climate-Induced Structure & Foundation Failures
- Cold Regions Construction Techniques
- Forensic Investigations & Practices in Cold Regions
- Frozen Ground & Permafrost
- Oil & Gas
- Pavement Design and Performance in Cold Regions
- Performance of Materials – Durability
- Pipeline Infrastructure
- Policy Development for a Changing Climate
- Ports & Shipping
- Snow & Ice Control for Highways & Airfields
- Sustainable Building Design in Cold Regions
- Sustainable Water and Wastewater Systems in Cold Regions
- Urban Snow Management
2) INFRASTRUCTURE RESILIENCE DIVISION ABSTRACT TOPICS
The topic is intended to develop a unified approach in advancing the concepts of resiliency within lifeline and infrastructure systems. Discussions for developing resources for improving the resilience of civil infrastructure and lifeline systems to all hazards.
Infrastructure Resilience Division Sub-Topics
- Civil Infrastructure & Lifeline Systems
- Community Resilience
- Disaster Assessments
- Emerging Technologies
- Multi-Hazard Characterization
- Natural Disasters
- Risk & Resilience Measurements
- Risk Assessment, Adaptation Planning & Evaluation
- Social & Economic Impacts
3) ADAPTATION TO CHANGING CLIMATE ABSTRACT TOPICS
The topic should include research and development related to engineering in a changing climate and extreme weather conditions and how this affects the safety, health and welfare of the public as it interfaces with civil engineering infrastructure. Presentations should discuss appropriate standards, loading criteria and evaluation as well as design procedures in changing climates.
Adaptation to Changing Climate Sub-Topics
- Observational Method, Risk Quantification, Loads and Engineering Design
- Hydroclimate and Water Futures Infrastructure
- Energy Infrastructure
- Ecosystems & Ecosystem-Based Adaptation
4) AEROSPACE DIVISION ABSTRACT TOPICS
The topic is intended to promote invention, dissemination and transfer of technology on advanced composite materials and structures for aerospace and civil engineering applications including analytical and experimental endeavors.
Aerospace Division Sub-Topics
- Engineering and Science in Extreme Regions
- Terrestrial and Space Architecture in Challenging Environments
5) FORENSIC ENGINEERING DIVISION ABSTRACT TOPICS
The topic is intended to develop practices and procedures to reduce the number of failures, to disseminate information on failures and their causes, to provide guidelines for conducting failure investigations, and to provide guidelines for ethical conduct in forensic engineering.
Forensic Engineering Division Sub-Topics
- Building Envelope
- Emerging Technologies
- Failures During Construction
- Forensic Engineering Education
- Forensic Investigations
- Infrastructure Inspection & Evaluation
- Performance of Materials
- Repairs and Remediation
- Standard of Care & Engineering Judgment
6) ENERGY DIVISION ABSTRACT TOPICS
The topic is intended to provide leadership on technical, professional and policy issues that bear on energy in all its forms and uses.
Energy Division Sub-Topics
- Integrated planning and management of safe, efficient energy systems consistent with social, economic and environmental objectives and constraints
- Promote the integrated planning and management of safe, efficient energy systems consistent with social, economic and environmental objectives and constraints
- Advance the role of the civil engineer in the siting, design, construction, and operation of facilities for the extraction, conversion, generation, distribution, and use of sustainable energy resources
- Collaborate with other ASCE units and external organizations with similar goals
7) CONSTRUCTION INSTITUTE ABSTRACT TOPICS
The topic is intended to provide sessions based on the needs assessment of attendees and engineering firms. The sub-topics are designed to educate and enhance individual skills and contribute to career development in the areas of claims and services, communication, project design, project execution, and project research and planning.
Construction Institute Sub-Topics
- Innovative Approaches & Emerging Technologies
- Management Practices for Various Project Delivery Methods
- Performance of Materials & Durability
- Risk Management & Mitigation Strategies
- Technology Trends
- Understanding Multi-Generational Expectations in the Work Place